|Map Type||Small, Non-looping|
The Nexus (also called the Door Room or Room of Doors) is the first room of the dream world, serving as the central hub from which all other locations can be eventually reached. The room is one of the most iconic locations in Yume Nikki, with its characteristic colorful doors and concentric Paracas-inspired floor design.
The Nexus is a relatively small room with twelve doors arranged in a circle around the center. The lone door above leads back to Madotsuki's Dream Room. The twelve Nexus doors lead into the top-level worlds known as the original locations.
Excluding Madotsuki's Dream Room, the doors clockwise starting from the top lead to:
There are many locations that cannot be reached directly from the Nexus, known as the deeper locations. They can only be reached by traveling through the original locations (with some exceptions). Some locations require the player to traverse through many deeper worlds before they arrive.
All of the original locations have doors and portals leading deeper into the dream world. It is also notable that many locations are joined together by other worlds, so the twelve original locations are not completely separate. It is quite possible to return to the Nexus by a different door to the one you left from.
The Nexus is the only room where Madotsuki's effects can be dropped. This is done by equipping them and pressing "5", which removes the effect from your inventory, but it can be retrieved by interacting with the egg that is dropped from behind Madotsuki. Each effect appears as a unique egg that is analogous to the effect it contains; for example, the Medamaude egg has an eye on it, the Midget egg is small, and the Neon egg strobes bright colors.
Wherever the eggs are placed, they will arrange themselves into set positions when Madotsuki leaves and re-enters the room. When all 24 effect eggs are in place, they make two full concentric circles around the center of the Nexus. This produces a change in the real world, allowing the player to see the game's ending.
- Strangely, the Number World door makes a different sound from all the rest. All other doors click when they shut, but the Number World door makes a heavier thud. This is most clearly heard when traveling back to the Nexus from the Number World. This seems to highlight the Number world as more significant.
- It is also the only door that is integrated into a wall or object other than the door of Madotsuki's room.
- The Nexus is one of the few locations in the game that has no background music, which draws the player's attention to the sound of Madotsuki's footsteps instead.
- In version 0.04, the Nexus' background was colored a very subtle blue instead of black. The effect eggs were also arranged differently in the center, as there were only 20 effects prior to 0.05.
- In the thumbs.db files of 0.04, there is an unused mockup image of a possible Nexus background that went unused. It bears a resemblance to the one in Eyeball World, but with a different coloring.